Monday, June 1, 2015

Waves

Why am I discouraged?
    Why is my heart so sad?
I will put my hope in God!
    I will praise him again—
    my Savior and my God!

Now I am deeply discouraged,
    but I will remember you—
even from distant Mount Hermon, the source of the Jordan,
    from the land of Mount Mizar.

 I hear the tumult of the raging seas
    as your waves and surging tides sweep over me.
 But each day the Lord pours his unfailing love upon me,
    and through each night I sing his songs,
    praying to God who gives me life.

Psalm 42:5-8


Waves - Mr. Probz (Robin Shulz remix)

I have tied my heart to Yours - O Rock, my Anchor.
I am set adrift.
Call me back to You
before I float on into the deep.

There is beauty in repetition... the ebb and flow of the tide. At the feel of a pull, the waters turn, summoning all mysteries of the deep to the surface, a churned-up mixture of seawater and debris rising just to fall... again...and again...and again... 

each time the crash exposing and turning over what has been uncovered, what has been called forth from murky depths.

To be made alive, to be given breath, to create, to love and to live sacrificially. 
We are filled in order to be emptied again... and again... and again. This repetition.
The thunderous rise and fall of familiar giants. 

To serve to the point of complete depletion. To then be re-injected with enthusiasm, brought back to life, re-animated, as if a puppet or corpse {dead to itself in this way, to be Used}. To re-visit past territory with a used torch, to withstand shot after shot, arrow after arrow, to receive an ear-ful, to steel myself within rusted armor - to determine to keep standing. To wade through saltwater.

On our own, it's exhaustive.
In Him, it is enough.

Each crash exposing our inadequacy, weakness, and dependence.
Each upturn a reminder of His sufficiency.
Every wave turning over grace.

Three different times I begged the Lord to take it {the thorn in his flesh} away. 
Each time he said, “My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness.” 
So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me. That’s why I take pleasure in my weaknesses, and in the insults, hardships, persecutions, and troubles that I suffer for Christ. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

Paul, 2 Corinthians 12:8-10

This grace is enough.
Perhaps you are my thorn; perhaps I will always carry you with me.
Through weakness and through strength, through the desert and through oceans, through every
season - I will follow You. I am tired, and I am Yours, and that is enough.

As You lead us through uncertain waters, I drift behind, tethered to You, drowning in this grace.