Sunday, January 17, 2016

Make the Right Choice

Something I tell my kids frequently is to "make the right choice." This usually makes my 5-year-old's eyes roll back into her head, and my 3 year old continue to cartwheel around the living room - but - just the same, I tell them: when you're fighting with your brother, when your feelings are hurt, when it's hard to share, when you don't get what you want, when you don't want to go to bed, when you have to apologize, and especially when you have to forgive ... make the right choice.

And it's not any different for us. Every day is broken into 24 hours and a thousand-fold more opportunities to... make the right choice. Like, for example, today at lunch.

Today at lunch my meal came with a drink. As usual I stared down my options at the drink tower, but this time Dr. Pepper was staring back... for a little too long if you know what I'm saying. Eventually I fought him off (creeper) and chose my first love (unsweetened iced tea), but sheesh ... let's just say it wouldn't have been weird if I had turned to the restaurant and shouted, "I chose TEA, people! I chose the TEA."


That's how temptation works though. It comes on fast, from seemingly out of nowhere, and often strong enough to where 'the right choice' is nothing more than a vague concept {and feels like a total victory when we can *actually* say no.}

We can always, always, always say no when tempted, by the strength and grace of God:

"The temptations in your life are no different from what others experience. And God is faithful. He will not allow the temptation to be more than you can stand. When you are tempted, he will show you a way out so that you can endure." (1 Corinthians 10:13, NLT)

The Dr. P rejection is just one example of 'the pull', and the ability to say no (or... to make the right choice).

No, I'm not going to call attention to that. No, I'm not going to say what I'm thinking right now. No, I'm not going to go to that place. No, I'm not going to text that person I have no business texting.

To make the right choice.
{... the choices that make up the days that make up a life.}

"So humble yourselves before God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you." (James 4:7, NLT)

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart;
    do not depend on your own understanding.
Seek his will in all you do,
    and he will show you which path to take." (Proverbs 3:5-6, NLT)